[CLUE-Tech] login problems

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 14:28:30 MST 2001

I had a problem similiar to this on SuSE.  Somehow I mucked up the permissions for some critical
tmp locations and applications.  Do you have a .xerrors in your HOME?  I did a search on Google
for the last couple error messages in mine & solved the problem pronto.  Sorry I can't be more
help, it was many LOCs ago...

--- Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:
> I've recently been experiencing persistent problems getting into KDE
> desktop, either as root or as my user account.  I enter the userid/pwd at
> the kde login panel, and get bounced back to the kde login panel seconds
> later, about 99 times out of 100.  I don't get the kde box showing the
> various processes loading before the bounce.
>
> I can sign in as root at the non-gui prompt.  Previously, when it happened
> rarely, I could close down, power off, wait for bios to clear, and cold
> boot, then get into kde.  Now that doesn't work.  Startx doesn't work either.
>
> 1) where would the error log be hiding?
> 2) Would the message early in the linux boot log "insmod failed no space on
> device" be relevant?  No evidence of what device.  I have space in my two
> linux partitions.
>
> Using Mandrake 8.0 release on a dual boot pentium with the 2.4.3 kernel.
>

> Charles Oriez  coriez at oriez.org
> **
> Some witty person in rec.arts.sf.composition (I forget who) called them
> feral apostrophes. Untamed, unregulated, they roam the wastes of the
> English language and pop up where lea'st expected.

=====
Keith E. Hellman
kehellman at yahoo.com