[CLUE-Tech] java.lang.ClassFormatError: Bad major version number

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Tue Nov 20 16:51:36 MST 2001

Java question...

I am putting together some demonstration applets for computer
science teachers.  What I write works fine with appletviewer
but when I try to run it with any browser, it fails.  To know
that it's probably not just my bad code, I ran some applets
on the CDROM that came with a Java Programming for Dummies
book no problem.  Then I recompiled them and ran them in
appletviewer, no problem, but in a browser I get the
"version number" error.

Is it such that I have to keep an old version of Java around
to generate code that will work on older browsers - or any
browsers?  That can't be right.

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School, Parker, Colorado