[CLUE-Tech] java.lang.ClassFormatError: Bad major version number

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Tue Nov 20 17:34:19 MST 2001

On 11-20 16:51, Roger Frank wrote:
> Java question...
>
> I am putting together some demonstration applets for computer
> science teachers.  What I write works fine with appletviewer
> but when I try to run it with any browser, it fails.  To know
> that it's probably not just my bad code, I ran some applets
> on the CDROM that came with a Java Programming for Dummies
> book no problem.  Then I recompiled them and ran them in
> appletviewer, no problem, but in a browser I get the
> "version number" error.
>
> Is it such that I have to keep an old version of Java around
> to generate code that will work on older browsers - or any
> browsers?  That can't be right.

Just a shot in dark; have you tried any Java 2(1.2) plug-ins for
the browser? Maybe you are relying on stuff that only Java 2 supports.
Browsers mostly ship with Java 1.1 support if they ship with any at
all....

Are you trying the browser locally, too? If not, are you sure the
filenames have correct case and all exist?

Also, have you tried out the Javasoft forums, or groups.google.com?
Great resources.

Sean LeBlanc, seanleblanc at home.com
IM-> Yahoo: seanleblancathome ICQ: 138565743 MSN: seanleblancathome AIM: sleblancathome
The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago... had they
happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands.
-Havelock Ellis
Management QOTD:We've been running fast, now we have to run smart. It's time to hoist the flag and document the progress.