[CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 23 10:14:19 MST 2001

jimintriglia at americanisp.net wrote:

> Perhaps it's time to look at other distributions for this PC such as Debian, which
> still will run on older hardware (?). (Also time to buy some new workstations,
> yes?)

I installed debian on a 486 last month.  Used a boot/root floppy set and a potato
CD.  Pulled an IDE CDROM out of a newer computer and plugged it into the 486.  The
486 BIOS know nothing about CDs, but once I booted off the floppy, linux went along
happily.  The machine has 16MB RAM and ~200MB disk (took my sweet time making sure
no extra packages got loaded).  It boots though I haven't used it enough to know how
well it runs.

So new debian works with old hardware, FWIW.