[CLUE-Tech] CD reader/writer

Collins Richey erichey2 at home.com
Sun Nov 25 19:12:10 MST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:45:10 -0000 jason at matchingmoms.com wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 7.1.  I just installed a CD-RW.  It mounts as an
> iso9660
> device at /mnt/cdrom1.  I can mount and read ordinary CDs with this
> new
> device without a problem.  However, I receive this error message
> when
> attempting to mount a CD-R:
>
> "mount:  wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on /dev/cdrom1,
> or too
> mnay mounted filesystems (could this be the IDE device where you in
> act use
> IDE-SCSI so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)"
>
> Please help.

CD-RW support in linux requires IDE-SCSI support, as all the cd writer
programs and kernel support use SCSI commands to talk to the device.
If your're using a standard Red Hat kernel they probably have the
necessary support compiled into modules.  Try  the following commands
and if they are successful add these modules to your modules file (I'm
sorry I don't know the Red Hat procedure) for loading the modules at
boot time.

	modprobe ide-scsi
	modprobe sr_mod
	modprobe cdrom
	modprobe sg
	modprobe scsi_mod

If these don't work, you will need to compile a new kernel; let me
know and I'll give you the instructions.

If the modprobes are successful, your cd-writer will be addressed as
/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1.  Check to see that you have these devices
defined.

You may also need to add the following  to your lilo or grub boot
stanza

	append="hdx=ide-scsi" (where hdx is probably hdc or hdd for your
system)

Let us know how you proceed.

--
Collins Richey