[CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?

Randy Arabie rrarabie at home.com
Mon Nov 26 09:46:43 MST 2001

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 jimintriglia at americanisp.net wrote:

> >I successfully installed Red Hat 7.1 on my P133 with 64MB, and it's
> >still running quite happily there, so I'm not sure what the 132MB(?)
> >limitation is about...
>
> Actually this P133 of mine has 64MB not 132MB, and Linux V7.1 refused to load on
> it due to 'insufficient memory'. You're mileage varied.

I ran into the same problem trying to install RH7.1 on a Dell 486/75 w/24MB.
It was just the incentive I needed to try OpenBSD.  I'm sure there are numerous
Linux distro's that would have been happy to reside on my ancient hardware, but
I was quite curious about BSD at the time so I took the plunge.  I was building
a gateway/firewall machine and OpenBSD fit the bill perfect.

Back on topic:

The problem for me was defintely a RH installation issue.  I was booting
the boot.img off a floppy, going into text install mode and trying to do an FTP
install from an FTP server on my home network (the little Dell doesn't even
have a CDROM drive!).  I was attempting a clean install, not an upgrade.

Each time, as the installation tried to load the install program from the source
directory on the FTP server it would fall over (loading anaconda i think) with
a message like "you have insufficient memory to run the RH installer".

My conclusion at the time was, RedHat is no longer the choice for old hardware.

As I learn more about the guts of Linux, I'm moving that direction anyway, and
will probably try another distribution for my next install...hopefully on an
Alpha :-) (Thanks Mike).

I started with RH, as it had (still does??) the largest user base.  I think it
is a fantastic way to learn Linux.

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 75CB 1707 3C14 EF94 22E1 995F 7286 97DC B41D 79CE
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 Keyserver: seattle.keyserver.net