[CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Wed Nov 28 20:19:31 MST 2001

On 11-26 09:46, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 jimintriglia at americanisp.net wrote:
>
> > >I successfully installed Red Hat 7.1 on my P133 with 64MB, and it's
> > >still running quite happily there, so I'm not sure what the 132MB(?)
> > >limitation is about...
> >
> > Actually this P133 of mine has 64MB not 132MB, and Linux V7.1 refused to load on
> > it due to 'insufficient memory'. You're mileage varied.
>
> I ran into the same problem trying to install RH7.1 on a Dell 486/75 w/24MB.
> It was just the incentive I needed to try OpenBSD.  I'm sure there are numerous
> Linux distro's that would have been happy to reside on my ancient hardware, but
> I was quite curious about BSD at the time so I took the plunge.  I was building
> a gateway/firewall machine and OpenBSD fit the bill perfect.

It's funny this topic raised it's head...over on a FreeBSD mailing list,
there was a thread talking about old 486 hardware. I *think* it only needs
4MB to run, but 5MB to install...there's not too many distros of Linux that
will let you do that anymore. I imagine OpenBSD must be pretty similar in
regards to older/lower-end hardware, then. I intend on doing the same as
you: finding a really old machine that can cut it, and putting OpenBSD on
it.

Speaking of *BSD's, has anyone ever gotten requests at installfests to do any
of these? I was looking at http://www.freebsddiary.org, and I noticed he had
an entry in there about his first Linux User Group meeting. I also saw some
other LUG's do both *BSD and Linux at their installfests...just curious. I
don't want to start any holy wars. :)

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at home.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome