[CLUE-Tech] apache + ssl + web server cluster + one domain name= nightmare

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Nov 26 16:50:45 MST 2001

Yeah, it turns out I didn't get it working :(  For load balancing, I'm
using cluster cats.  Now, I know it has something to do with cluster
cats because I *should* be able to use just one cert, but try this.  Go
to:

http://www.globaltaxnetwork.com

Cluster cats seems to be a dumb load balancer because it doesn't keep
the name www.  It auto points you to www1, www2, or www3.  This is
stupid I know, but apparently that's just the way it works.  Therefore,
I need 3 certs, one for all three names.  Then the fun part.... if you
type in https://www.globaltaxnetwork.com, apache gets confused because
it's expecting a cert file for www while cluster cats is redirecting via
ip address - so apache just sees somebody coming in on the ip, so it
defaults to the www1, www2, or www3 cert.  The browser is still
expecting www, so you get the warning.  So, I just tried setting the
default to www and the name specific cert to the numbered names.  Still
no go.  So, rather than using cluster cats, I'm about ready to use some
other kind of load balancer.  Problem is, I need these boxes to share
their cold fusion session variables, making cluster cats the only real
option I think.  And yes, I did sign temp certs for myself, but our
customers not being very websavvy, just your average joe blow trying to
get their taxes prepared, became confused.  They kept emailing and
calling us telling us our website isn't secure, not taking the time to
read the warning.  Which is still what's happening if somebody tries the
url https://www.globaltaxnetwork.com.  So, this is more of a pr thing
for us, rather than functional.