[CLUE-Tech] apache + ssl + web server cluster + one domain name= nightmare

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Mon Nov 26 17:36:24 MST 2001

This brings up a question I've had for a while.

My company runs a secure web application that isn't open to the general
public.  We used to run it on NT4, which had a nice little cert server
application included that allowed me to make my own FREE certificate.
My users of course got the "there is a problem with this certificate"
hubbub..but they have already elected to trust us with a signed
contract..The encryption worked, that was all that mattered to both parties.

So we "upgraded" (koff) to Windows 2000 Server.  Of course, someone in
Redmond saw that they were essentially giving away something of value
and had this feature removed or hidden so well that I can't find it.
After several frustrating hours of google-ing and digging through
marketing hype I finally found a 1-year TRIAL certificate offer.. Ugh..

So, now that I have ported my app over to PHP4/Linux I am in need of
another method of creating an SSL certificate.  I don't want to pay $$
to Verisign or the like for theirs.  I don't care if it gives the users
a message..

I just need some way to make a FREE (not trial version) certificate for
my use..

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

-Dan Harris