[CLUE-Tech] Auto-Mailers in Perl

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Wed Nov 28 13:30:04 MST 2001

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:15:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Intriglia <jimintriglia at yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Cc: rrarabie at home.com
Sender: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us

--- Randy Arabie <rrarabie at home.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 jimintriglia at americanisp.net
> wrote:
>
> The problem for me was defintely a RH installation
> issue.

Will be interesting to see if any of the upcoming
reviews of RH7.2 catch this problem.

> Each time, as the installation tried to load the
> install program from the source
> directory on the FTP server it would fall over
> a message like "you have insufficient memory to run
> the RH installer".

Yep. That was the message I got as well. I'm
bit-twiddler anyway, so it's time I load a
fully-manually version of Linux on that old Dell.

> My conclusion at the time was, RedHat is no longer
> the choice for old hardware.

Same here.

> As I learn more about the guts of Linux, I'm moving
> that direction anyway, and
> will probably try another distribution for my next
> install...hopefully on an
> Alpha :-) (Thanks Mike).

Me too. I like the RH distro as the tools enable me to
maintain/manage my system quickly, so I can get on
with my work. On the other hand, part of my work is
understanding Linux inside-out, and RH is not the way
to go if this is a goal.

> I started with RH, as it had (still does??) the
> largest user base.

I've got to go through my bookmarks and see if I can
find some organization that tracks linux distro
demographics.

> --
>
> Cheers!
>
> Randy

> Randy Arabie

Take care, and thanks for the feedback.

P.S. - I did successfully upgrade my Penguin Computing
PII400 from RH7.0 -> 7.2. No major problems thus far
related to the 2.2-2.4 kernel change or the Ext2->Ext3
filesystem upgrade (my two largerst concerns).

PortSentry freaks out once an hour (thinks it is
detecting Syn scans on port 111 I think, when the
workstation is offline) and I recall seeing a fix for
that on the PS site (related to 2.4 kernel I believe).

A couple of gotcha's with respect to switching to the
new Gnome Panel.

Coolest thing about the upgrade is my Yamaha CD-ROM
burner actually worked without a kernel recompile! No
more switching to a broken 2.2.17 kernel just to burn
a CD-ROM - yea! My Yamaha CD-R/W has not worked
properly since RH6.2, and I could never get the CD-R/W
working under RH7.0 (I/O errors on fixation), despite
trying every possible recompile option I (or anyone
else) could think of. Gee, maybe my HP Traven tape
drives will work again too (hope springs eternal).
Nah, rather backup to CD-ROM or DVD :-)

I was also happy to see that RH7.2 now detects and
support my Epson Color 900G printer. Problem is
however, I installed APSFilter to handle printing (as
RH7.0 offered no support for my printer) and APSFilter
does not play nice will RH choice of printer driver
(FOOMATIC).

More fodder for an upcoming review article of mine.

Best,

JimI.

=====
Jim Intriglia Consulting LLC
Quality e-Business System Development Services,
at an Affordable Price!"
---
www.JimIntriglia.com + Jim at JimIntriglia.com + 303-838-2649