[CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Nov 28 20:09:31 MST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:15:04 -0800 (PST)
Jim Intriglia <jimintriglia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > The problem for me was defintely a RH installation
> > issue.
>
> Will be interesting to see if any of the upcoming
> reviews of RH7.2 catch this problem.

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/11/24/1618241&mode=thread
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/11/06/1531232&mode=thread
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/15/1818240&mode=thread

I've read only the first one, and found some interesting tidbits about the
kernel, nothing about old hardware.

> > Each time, as the installation tried to load the
> > install program from the source
> > directory on the FTP server it would fall over
> > a message like "you have insufficient memory to run
> > the RH installer".

Maybe this is really just the installer? Has anyone just updated their
RPMs manually from the CD? Any problems?

> Me too. I like the RH distro as the tools enable me to
> maintain/manage my system quickly, so I can get on
> with my work. On the other hand, part of my work is
> understanding Linux inside-out, and RH is not the way
> to go if this is a goal.

Really? It's true that LSF, or Gentoo put you in the position of having to
know more about what you're doing, but to what degree does RH, in and of
itself, limit that? Depends upon what you mean, and how far, by
inside-out, doesn't it? If it's from a sysadmining point of view, what's
missing? The kernel source is still there, and you can still build things
from source if you want, although that can get you into dependency
problems - but you could get around that by building your own RPMs after
you've built from source, then installing your own RPMs. You'd actually
argue that there would be more learning taking that approach, and you'd be
even better prepared for doing RH installs in a corp. environment,
wouldn't you? I mean, isn't RH the distro of choice for commercial
installs?

> I've got to go through my bookmarks and see if I can
> find some organization that tracks linux distro
> demographics.

I think there was something on Slashdot about that not too long ago.

Cheers,
jed

--
  If R is the set of all sets which don't contain themselves,
  does R contain itself?