[CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?

Randy Arabie rrarabie at home.com
Thu Nov 29 07:21:56 MST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> > > Each time, as the installation tried to load the
> > > install program from the source
> > > directory on the FTP server it would fall over
> > > a message like "you have insufficient memory to run
> > > the RH installer".
>
> Maybe this is really just the installer? Has anyone just updated their
> RPMs manually from the CD? Any problems?

I think it is just the installer.  And that really baffles me.  I didn't
even want to install X, it was only going to be a minimal system doing
firewall/gateway tasks (IP Masquerading, DHCP Client & Server, etc...).

I frustrates me that RH can't provide a installation method that requires
less RAM.  I don't know what the minimum requirements are, I just know
24 MB was not sufficient.

Previously, I was using LRP on a floppy.  That was cool.  However, I wanted
to try some other things and it got to the point where I was going to need
more space than the floppy could give.  If your looking for a very reliable,
straightforward, ancient hardware compatible firewall/gateway solution I
highly recommend LRP.  You don't even need an HD in the machine.

Here is a link to the version I was using--> http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 75CB 1707 3C14 EF94 22E1 995F 7286 97DC B41D 79CE
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 Keyserver: seattle.keyserver.net