[CLUE-Tech] DSL QoS monitoring.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Oct 19 20:33:09 MDT 2001

If you've been on the list at all, you know I have DSL.  I switched from
Qwest to Americanisp about a month ago.

Does anyone know how to monitor my connection so I know whether problems
are with Qwest or the ISP?  There are 2 parts to that.  First, if my
connection is down, what can I do to determine whether it is Qwest's
equipment or the ISP's?  Second, if my connection is slow, how can I
find the bottleneck?

The first question isn't that important.  I look at the modem error log,
see how far it gets and then flip a coin and call someone.  In my case,
the ISP is probably easier to get to.

When I switched from Qwest to Americanisp, my connection speed seemed to
decrease, especially during some parts of the day.  I haven't been
scientific about observing my connection, but I wonder if anyone knows
how to find the bottleneck when a server is slow transferring data.

Any takers?