[CLUE-Tech] DSL QoS monitoring

Michael Smith masmith at adams.net
Sun Oct 28 15:57:45 MST 2001

> had screwed up our phone pool.  We finally had to drag their tech
> out to the site and call the phone pool until all the lines filled up and
> prove to him that only 17 of our 24 lines worked in the pool.  Of course,
was the

Sounds so much like the problem we've seen with Ameritech PRIs.  After
spending countless hours trying to determine the reasons for fast busies, no
answers and swapping out controller cards and modems in multiple NASes, we
keep finding the issues are more often than not on the telco side. There are
no alarms detected on the telco side, but our customers' phone calls provide
plenty of alarms for us. ;-)

> experienced, but we routinely had to call back technicians that
> screwed up
> our T1, Frame Relay, and ISDN connections and configurations.
> Each time, we
> spent so much time to prove that they screwed up!

In the last 18 months I've ordered over 20 PRIs, a like number of DCS
circuits and a dozen or so Frame Relay circuits.  *Every one* of the
Ameritech PRIs have been screwed up somehow in provisioning, install or
service quality.  Verizon has done most of the DCS installs quite nicely,
but roughly 50% of the Frame circuits are troublesome to get turned up.  If
it were not for the fact that our ISP is affiliated with a small local telco
giving us access to people with the equipment and/or expertise to help us
analyze the problems, we would likely suffer a much higher rate of service
problems.  It's a shame we cannot receive any compensation for our
investment in correcting their service deficiencies.

Mike