[CLUE-Tech] apache & ssl problem

Randy Arabie rrarabie at home.com
Mon Oct 29 06:29:02 MST 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Dave Anselmi wrote:

> So telnet gets you the file, without encryption, without any apparent SSL handshake attempt?
>  Seems like you aren't really using SSL.  I assume you're using mod_ssl, not OpenSSL.

Yes, mod_ssl.  From the Apache Environment Section of phpinfo(), SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/1.3.19
(Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6 DAV/1.0.2 PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_perl/1.24_01.

> Your virtual host config is wrapped in an IfDefine - did you start Apache with something
> like -DSSL to define it?  If not, the config isn't getting run.

I start and stop httpd via /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd [start] [stop] [restart]

> If that isn't it, I can dig up an old SSL config I used to use - let me know.

As you mentioned earlier, port 443 is serving the file with no encryption.  I'll have a look at
the mod_ssl configuration.  It appears from the apache info above that I'm using BOTH mod_ssl
and OpenSSL...would that be the problem?

> Also, SSLVerifyClient require will require clients to have certificates which they usually
> don't (unless you've got a way to give them out).  So maybe that isn't what you want.

Yeah, I'm limiting this site to a very few clients, I'll give them certificates.

> Finally, there are many bugs in the IE implementation of SSL that can cause it to fail with
> mod_ssl.  The workarounds include IE specific settings (SetEnvIF, which you have some of) and
> disabling some cipher suites.  You can check the mod_ssl mailing list of FAQ for details.
> There can also be problems getting SCG to work on Netscape with Verisign certs.

I'll have to look into the IE specific settings, as I know all the clients will be IE 5.x

--

Cheers!

Randy Arabie