[CLUE-Tech] apache & ssl problem

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Oct 29 08:09:54 MST 2001

Randy Arabie wrote:

> > Your virtual host config is wrapped in an IfDefine - did you start Apache with something
> > like -DSSL to define it?  If not, the config isn't getting run.
>
> I start and stop httpd via /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd [start] [stop] [restart]

The virtual host section of the config you posted *is* the mod_ssl config.  You are starting and
stopping Apache with an init script (the httpd file above).  Open it up and see what the actual
command it's using is.

The config in your original message ended with a line that said </IfDefine>.  Somewhere above the
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.200:443> line is one that starts with <IfDefine...  (Probably looks like
<IfDefine SSL> but I don't have Apache docs handy.)  If you are not defining SSL (with a -DSSL
option on the httpd command line in your init script) then your SSL config is getting skipped.

So either tweak the init script or take the IfDefine stuff out of the apache config.  IIRC, there
is also a section of the apache config wrapped by a check whether mod_ssl is loaded.  You shouldn't
have to mess with that part.

HTH,