[CLUE-Tech] Problem starting secure shell on boot

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Sun Sep 2 22:43:27 MDT 2001

Warren wrote:

> I have a System V-type startup script for secure shell,
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd , and the problem is that it fails to start on
> boot. You can start it from console, though, after booting.

One big difference between when you run a script from the console and
when it runs at boot time is your environment.  Check your script and
make sure that the commands it references (especially sshd or ssh2d)
are referenced by their full pathname.  Chances are that the script
runs fine in the console because of how your $PATH is set.  I suspect
that the script reports a success at startup, even though start up
actually failed, because of insufficient error handling.

Lynn Danielson