[CLUE-Tech] Help Dual-Boot my Notebook?

Brandon Harper lists-inet at booms.net
Thu Sep 13 09:26:30 MDT 2001

> Thanks for the tips.  I took a quick look at the Ranish Partition web
> site, and I'm considering it.  How is it for re-partitioning a drive
> without damaging an existing Windows partition?  How much
> expertise is required? (I've set up Linux systems before, but only
> on brand new hard drives or existing empty partitions; I've never had
> to do a non-destructive re-partition on a drive already in use.)

I'm not sure if this will be of much help or not, as its been awhile since
I've done it (~2 years).

I wanted to dual-boot on my main workstation between Win2K Beta and
Mandrake.  I used a Linux utility to actually move the partitions around,
creating a small partition at the beginning of the disk to install Grub for
multi-booting.  For the life of me, I don't remember what it was, but I'm
pretty sure you can use DiskDrake to do this as well.  Once I moved the
partition and had Mandrake installed, I ran the Win2K Recovery CD to fix
Win2K so it wouldn't whine at me anymore, and it worked after that.

And yes, I really did use Mandrake.  :P

Anyhow, I'd export all of your registry keys, and copy C:\WINNT and
C:\Documents And Settings somewhere before attempting to resize, as you'll
probably need to run the Recovery Process (which can be done via booting off
of the Win2K CD) once you've resized the partition, as Win2K will whine
about the MBR, etc.

I hope that's of some help.

- Brandon

<!-- http://www.booms.net -->