[CLUE-Tech] Installfest [was MASSIVE UDP packets?]

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Sep 21 18:02:27 MDT 2001

"Jed S. Baer" wrote:

> I generally feel pretty safe on a dialup, but I'm anxious about that
> blessed day in the future when I get a real internet connection. It's
> what I *don't* know that scares me.

Ouch.  I feel much safer on my DSL than on my dad's dial-up ppp.  DSL does NAT,
which makes me somewhat invisible (well, that's false security too, because I
haven't beat on it to understand exactly how it works - but at least my win personal
firewall doesn't go off much).  Steve Gibson (grc.com) has a story about a DDOS
attack he suffered.  Though the worst damage came from high bandwidth users, he had
a lot of dial-up users hitting him too, which meant that someone had zombied their
boxes first (that was windows zombies, don't know of any for linux).