[CLUE-Tech] Installfest [was MASSIVE UDP packets?]

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Sep 22 09:32:15 MDT 2001

Cyberclops wrote:

> I use Libranet with the 2.4 kernel.  A lot of firewalls out there seem to still
> use "ipchains."  I would like to avoid a kernel upgrade because the system I have
> works perfectly, and many times when people start getting involved in kernal
> upgrades, they end up breaking their system.

ipchains is for 2.2 kernels, iptables for 2.4.  The 2.4 kernels have ipchains and
ipfwadm modules so you can continue to use an existing configuration.  For a new
setup, just use iptables.

Kernel upgrades are not very hard.  In debian the package system handles it without
hassle - don't remember if it runs lilo for you or just tells you how, but either way
it is minor.

Adding a new kernel from source is easy too, just have to know where to put it and
remember to run lilo.  Understanding lilo or the boot process is most important,
followed by knowing your kernel config if building from source.

By comparison, I hear that upgrading glibc is much more difficult - not sure how
package systems handle that.