[CLUE-Tech] Installfest [was MASSIVE UDP packets?]

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Sep 22 10:17:35 MDT 2001

Dave Anselmi wrote:

> Cyberclops wrote:
>
> > I use Libranet with the 2.4 kernel.  A lot of firewalls out there seem to still
> > use "ipchains."  I would like to avoid a kernel upgrade because the system I have
> > works perfectly, and many times when people start getting involved in kernal
> > upgrades, they end up breaking their system.
>
> ipchains is for 2.2 kernels, iptables for 2.4.  The 2.4 kernels have ipchains and
> ipfwadm modules so you can continue to use an existing configuration.  For a new
> setup, just use iptables.
>
> Kernel upgrades are not very hard.  In debian the package system handles it without
> hassle - don't remember if it runs lilo for you or just tells you how, but either way
> it is minor.
>
> Adding a new kernel from source is easy too, just have to know where to put it and
> remember to run lilo.  Understanding lilo or the boot process is most important,
> followed by knowing your kernel config if building from source.
>
> By comparison, I hear that upgrading glibc is much more difficult - not sure how
> package systems handle that.

Building glibc from source might be more difficult, dunno, haven't done
it. Using an RPM is just a matter of the download, and any dependencies
that might get broken.

Building the kernel isn't too bad, except that with the RH7.1 distro,
you have to do a make mrproper before each build. That's a pain, cuz it
rewrites the .config file, so you have to remember to save/resore your
config.

Does the debian package install a stock modular kernel, with every
module built? I like to build the kernel, so I can enable processor
specific code, and build a few things which get more use into it,
instead of as modules.

jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."