[CLUE-Tech] Installfest [was MASSIVE UDP packets?]

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Sep 22 10:31:12 MDT 2001

* Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> Dave Anselmi wrote:
>
> Does the debian package install a stock modular kernel, with every
> module built? I like to build the kernel, so I can enable processor
> specific code, and build a few things which get more use into it,
> instead of as modules.

Debian has a few prebuilt kernels, with almost everything under the sun
compiled in or compiled as a module.  The real strength comes, though,
from a program called make-kpkg.  With this, you download your own
source tree for the kernel, set it up with a config (whatever way you
choose, make config, menuconfig, xconfig, oldconfig), and then use
make-kpkg to make a custom deb of the kernel.  'make-kpkg' just compiles
the kernel in the usual way, and then wraps all the binary and the
modules and what not into a debian package.

This way, you get the best of both worlds -- the ease of letting a
package manager install the stuff, but the flexibility of building the
kernel specifically for your machine.  It is really a great system.

Tim