[CLUE-Tech] Installfest [was MASSIVE UDP packets?]

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Sep 22 10:48:38 MDT 2001

"Jed S. Baer" wrote:

> Building glibc from source might be more difficult, dunno, haven't done
> it. Using an RPM is just a matter of the download, and any dependencies
> that might get broken.

I have heard that programs compiled against one glibc would have to be
recompiled (maybe
just relinked?) with a new glibc.  Perhaps that is just for major
upgrades.

> Does the debian package install a stock modular kernel, with every
> module built? I like to build the kernel, so I can enable processor
> specific code, and build a few things which get more use into it,
> instead of as modules.

It does.  I don't bother to customize, since that would mean installing
gcc and other
development tools (the debian machine is a production server).  It uses
a 2 step boot
process with a ram disk (so it doesn't need disk/filesystem drivers
built in).  They do
provide different packages for e.g., K6 and pentium processors.

I like having all the modules available.  When I added a CD writer, all
I had to do was
tweak modules.conf per the HOWTO and everything else was automagic.  It
don't get much
better'n that.