[CLUE-Tech] Some Sylpheed help?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Sep 26 22:03:38 MDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:05:18 -0600
Match Grun <match at dimensional.com> wrote:

> Jed,
>
> Yes, the patch is now in the release version. Also, the release version
> has my new address book stuff inside... all XML. I have also put an LDIF
> import into the Claws development build. This will probably make it into
> the release version next week.
>
> I have not checked the RPM. If you are building from source:
>
> 	./configure --enable-jpilot --enable-ldap
>
> Will build the necessary modules. If you do not have pilot-link or ldap
> libraries, then you will not see the relevant JPilot and LDAP
> interfaces. In fact they will not even be compiled in.
>
> If the RPM contained a binary, I don't know whether these options were
> compiled in. If they were, the code I put in Sylpheed tests whether you
> have the libraries installed. Again, if any libraries are missing, the
> respective address book interfaces are disabled.
>
> Your best bet may be to build from the source.
>
> Shameless plug: go visit:
>
> 	http://sylpheed.good-day.net/
>
> to get your version of Sylpheed. You can also visit my Sylpheed page at:
>
> 	http://dimensional.com/~match/sylpheed/syl-addressbook.html
>
> --
> Match Grun

Of course, I only thought of this just now:

$ strings /usr/bin/sylpheed | grep -i ldap
LDAP Server
ldap_list
LDAP
No LDAP entries found for search criteria
Error in LDAP search criteria
Timeout performing LDAP operation
Error searching LDAP database
Error binding to LDAP server
Error initializing LDAP
Error connecting to LDAP server

And I have openldap-2.0.7-14 installed. Perhaps that's too old?
openldap-2.0.14 needs a newer openssl and libcrypto, and libcrypto is
required by many things. True, the newer one *should* be backward
compatible, I suppose, but I hate to force an RPM into place. I don't see
any ldap stuff in the address book. And it is the LDIF import I'm most
interested in -- hoping to get away from Netscape, as it's been acting
more strangely over time, but moving my address book over is a big thing.

Perhaps I'll grap openldap-devel-2.0.7 and see if it builds OK. Although
why configure would require lower library versions than the RPM, well,
that's a real shot in the dark.

Thanks Match.
Regards,
jed