[CLUE-Tech] Recovering lost HD data

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sat Sep 29 14:07:07 MDT 2001

Hi all,

I had installed SuSe 7.2 on a machine (two hard drives: hda and hdb) and
went through a new install process without wanting it to touch hdb. I
had some data on hdb on one partition while hda had the three normal
partitions. While the install process went smoothly, it repartitioned
hdb and it shows only 15 Mb on it while it is a 9 Gb hard drive.

Here's some more info:

Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3                14021      2213     11097  17% /
/dev/hda1                   23         3        19  11% /boot
shmfs                      390         0       389   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb1                   15         1        13   1% /data1

Any thoughts on how to recover my data? At most it had about 100-150 Mb,
but most of it was duplicate data like HOWTOs and the like.

I've talked with some and they say I need to put some jelly in my
computer because it's toast, but I thought you GURU's might have some
suggestions to be able to recover some of the data.

Also, what's shmfs?

Kevin