[CLUE-Tech] Linux on an @Home Cable Modem

Warren warren at guano.org
Sun Sep 30 21:26:22 MDT 2001

Well, this is what I've been able to do so far.

It seems that 'pump', at least the version in a default install of
RH6.2, does not work with @Home, even with the '-h <hostname>' flag.

'dhcpcd' *does* work.  But, I still ran into a problem.

Basically, my setup is a multi-homed box with the internet-facing side
dynamically assigned and the private-facing interface statically
assigned.  I don't know how or why, but on bootup, the internal
interface (the so-called static one) would get an address assigned from
my internal dhcp server and the external interface would fail to come
up.  Even if I attempted to correct it in the rc.local script, it would
still fail on boot.  Once the machine was up and running, the scripts
would work from the command line (ifdown & ifup).

The Coyote Linux boot disk, v1.30 - using dhcpcd - did not run into any
problems and works with static or dynamic addressing.

None of this is a show-stopper, of course, but just be aware of some
hoops you may have to jump through if you undertake the task yourself.

--

 </W>

 http://guano.org/warren/pgp.txt