[CLUE-Tech] cdparanoia and ripping CDs with Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Apr 4 18:31:52 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:30:20 -0700
"Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:

> * Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> > Oops. I meant 256k/channel. I found the artifacts at 128 to be too
> > distracting.
>
> I have you tried variable bit rate?  I find this really helps with lame.
> It tries to maintain a certain rate, but increases the bit rate when the
> music is complicated, and reduces it when the music is simple.  I have
> found it makes a difference for music marked by great contrasts (say
> classical, where some of it is very silent, some very loud, many
> voices, single voices).  For lame, I use:
>
> lame -h -m j --abr 192

I'm doing an experiment. Encoding using lame -r3mix -b112. Found at
www.r3mix.net. I'm going to encode the same track with Ogg, and see if I
can hear any difference. The r3mix site is an interesting read,
particularly if you're into audio.

jed
--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine