[CLUE-Tech] Some RedHat 7.2 questions

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Fri Apr 5 08:13:19 MST 2002

On 04-05 07:44, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> On 04-05 07:32, Randy Arabie wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > > 2. Where and how do I config static IP in RH? I know an unused IP address
> > > range I can select from, and would like to try that.
> >
> > You can use ifconfig to manually configure your interfaces.  BTW, it is
> > a standard *nix command, not RH specific.
>
> Yes, but what happens on a reboot? Where is the proper place to disable DHCP
> so it doesn't hang on trying to start up eth0? And I'd like the static IP to
> be set on startup, too. Also, when I type ifconfig eth0 up, nothing happens
> (after startup is finally done). Ifconfig DOES list eth0 interace (along
> with lo), but no associated IP with it.

Doh. Well, I tried another cable just on a whim...that must have been it.
DHCP and other networking all work fine again. I just can't seem to make
reliable cables.

Now for another question:

I can't get Tomcat (4.0) to listen on port 80 because it needs privs to do
so...the server.xml file currently has the default in it, which is 8180. Has
anyone else here used Tomcat on RH 7.2, and how did you get it to listen to
port 80? Do I need to setuid something?

TIA,

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome