[CLUE-Tech] Good UNIX/Linux primer?

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Fri Apr 5 22:50:55 MST 2002

 >> Sean LeBlanc wrote:

>> I was asked a question that stumped me. What is a good UNIX primer? Is the
>> "purple" book a good one? Thoughts? The intent for now, anyway, would be
>> more to learn tasks that a user/developer would do, and some minimal admin
>> tasks, as well.

The purple book is one by Nemeth, et al, "Unix Systems Administration
Handbook (3rd edition)." Along with "Essential System Administration" by
A. Frisch, it is considered a classic Unix sysadmin book. (The Frisch
book is getting a little old, but is supposedly in revision for release
later this year. The Nemeth book is relatively recent). Another useful
book is "Unix Power Tools," which is a collection of power-user type
tips and tricks.

For Linux users, Nemeth,et al, has just released an Linux-based
equivalent of the purple book, "Linux Administration Handbook". It
parallels the Unix book very closely, and looks like it will become the
classic Linux sysadmin book.

Mind you, these are all system administrator level books. If you're just
starting out with Unix, you might find useful "Unix for the Impatient"
by Abrahams and Larson, or "Your Unix The Ultimate Guide" by Sumitabha
Das. These are great for learning from the very basics books; once you
finish them then you can then go on to the Nemeth and Frisch books.

You might find these useful --- I have found them to be an almost daily
reference, but you'll have to look at them to see for yourself. All are
available at Softpro in Denver and Boulder.

BOF