[CLUE-Tech] Good UNIX/Linux primer?

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Apr 7 14:28:39 MDT 2002

BOF wrote:

[...]

> Mind you, these are all system administrator level books. If you're just
> starting out with Unix, you might find useful "Unix for the Impatient"
> by Abrahams and Larson, or "Your Unix The Ultimate Guide" by Sumitabha
> Das. These are great for learning from the very basics books; once you
> finish them then you can then go on to the Nemeth and Frisch books.

I haven't read these, but BOF showed them to me.  The ultimate guide one looked
good for a developer type person.  It's big though, so might be better for
someone learning by doing and frequently asking "how do I ..."

I saw "Linux for Dummies" recently.  It seems to be a pretty reasonable book if
you want to read cover to cover.

One of my very early books was "Essential System Administration" by Frisch.  I
don't think it's all that deep, and is more a "how it works" book than a "what do
I type next" book.

You might check the library and find 3 or 4 books at different levels.  Then you
can decide what is most appropriate to buy.