[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 15:50:12 MDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Mickey Keenan wrote:

> I am pretty new at Linux and Apache web server.  So please bear with me.
> I have a machine running Red Hat 7.2 with the latest Apache version.  I
> also have a website configured with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET in
> visual basic.  Can Apache and Linux be configured to run the website
> with the .Net Framework?  Is additional software necessary?  The site is
> very basic right now (again it is a learning thing and not a
> professional thing).

You can start here:
http://www.ximian.com/devzone/projects/mono.html

This will give a manager-level intro to Mono, and links to other
Mono resources.

Disclaimer: I think Mono is a Very Bad Idea. Microsoft is
pushing the idea of Web services - this would have been a good
time to deliver something new and useful before the Redmond
Gorilla that might get more people to switch to Linux/*BSD/Hurd
or anything else. Instead we're going to end up playing catch
up yet again.

> The reason I ask this is that I am trying to pick up .NET skills at the
> same time as Linux.   By no means am I a Microsoft proponent but the
> skills are still in demand.  That is why I learn their products and
> tools.

Well, I don't know of anyone looking for .NET skills just yet.
I don't know of anyone actually deploying anything based on
.NET just yet, since it's so nebulous. I really, really, really,
hope that this fails, or you can count on at least 1/3 of the
Web becoming wholly unaccessible from anything other than
Windows.

Good luck,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net