[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Apr 7 14:47:45 MDT 2002

Mickey Keenan wrote:

>  I am pretty new at Linux and Apache web server.  So please bear with
> me.  I have a machine running Red Hat 7.2 with the latest Apache
> version.  I also have a website configured with Microsoft Visual
> Studio .NET in visual basic.  Can Apache and Linux be configured to
> run the website with the .Net Framework?  Is additional software
> necessary?  The site is very basic right now (again it is a learning
> thing and not a professional thing).

.NET will almost certainly never run on anything but Windows.  The CLI
(common language interface, I think) is an "open" standard, so it will
be implemented on Linux--there are two efforts that direction, dotGNU
and Mono, that I'm aware of but I don't know how far along they are.

CLR (common language runtime) implements things the CLI does not specify
(the MS windowing APIs, for example).  It would not surprise me if the
differences are significant enough to make porting difficult.

For new projects, I'm not sure why anyone would use .NET over Java,
unless they have considerable experience in Visual Studio (i.e., writing
Windows apps).