[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Apr 7 19:34:18 MDT 2002

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Dave Anselmi wrote:
>
> > I'm using .NET to build some web apps.  What I'm doing isn't nebulous, but not
> > much different than J2EE was 2 years ago.  I don't think the windows apps
> > piece is nebulous either, but the mobile device stuff certainly is (but the
> > devices are just as nebulous as the apps, so what do you expect?)
>
> Are you doing this voluntarily, or is this something an employer
> is requiring?

Well...  The employer is requiring it.  Since I'm the only (real) programmer there I
could object and probably use something else instead.  I figured I'd give MS a try
until I know enough to make my objections specific and first hand.

The place is a little disorganized in many ways, so I'm getting the lay of the land
before bringing in Linux--or Open Source on the Windows servers they have.  It will
be interesting to see whether my patience lasts long enough to accomplish that (I
don't really fit in there).

> I've really never liked the inflexibility of M$ tools. Part of
> that is that they're trying to oversimplify the OS for the
> lowest common denominator -- which is fine, to a point, but
> when it's *the only way you can do something* (like add a
> sound card or other peripheral) it becomes painful.
>
> I don't think it's a lack of classes, I really think it's
> their tools that are the problem.

I'm glad to hear that.  In my first .NET class a guy said "that's what MS has always
done so well--given developers the tools they want".  By the end of the class I
realized 2 things: their IDE is not what I want, since I can't program it; and he
was a "VB programmer" who didn't know much about programming.

It really drives me nuts that I can't use vi key bindings when editing in Visual
Studio (but vim has something for that, so maybe there's hope).

I'm trying to get to a "Visual Studio users' group" to see what I can learn.  Since
it's hosted at the MS office here I expect a lobotomy to be the entrance fee :-)  At
the class I took, I asked the instructor if the group had a mail list.  He said they
do, to announce meetings, and was baffled when I described the CLUE lists.

CLUE rocks!!