[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Apr 8 08:11:22 MDT 2002

On Sunday 07 April 2002 03:50 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> Disclaimer: I think Mono is a Very Bad Idea. Microsoft is
> pushing the idea of Web services - this would have been a good
> time to deliver something new and useful before the Redmond
> Gorilla that might get more people to switch to Linux/*BSD/Hurd
> or anything else. Instead we're going to end up playing catch
> up yet again.

Z -

I disagree.  The concept of web services has been around for at least two
years - SOAP, UDDI, and WSDL are all open protocols to publish 'web
services'.  .NET uses them for publication and so does Sun ONE.  These
standards are actually the brain child of Tim Berners-Lee and others on the
W3C panels.  So, yes there are open source implementations of these protocols.

If you want web services on Linux, et al., use Java, PHP or perl.  Java, by
far, has the more cohesive set of *open* protocols and product offerings --
check out http://java.sun.com/webservices/ for more info.

BTW - After spending a week talking about web services at JavaOne - the
industry is still finding exact definitions of the marketing term 'web
services'.  My bet is that web services, like 'push technology' and 'web
portals' will be the Next Big Thing (that later dies on the vine).  Rarely is
innovation planned, it just happens -- this is why the PC and the internet
are so phenomenal.

The difference is that Microsoft has given it a cool-sounding name (.NET).
Thus proving again their marketing savvy exceeds technical brain-power 10:1.
Oh yeah, the other difference (unlike the CLI, which is a direct rip-off of
Java) is that Microsoft's .NET won't support other operating systems -- but
we knew this, didn't we?

Jeff