[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 17:28:59 MDT 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 03:50:12PM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> >
> > Disclaimer: I think Mono is a Very Bad Idea. Microsoft is
> > pushing the idea of Web services - this would have been a good
> > time to deliver something new and useful
>
> I think it's a bit early to talk about "would have been." Microsoft
> is delivering an awful lot of .NET hype, but so far there is very
> little substance for end users. I agree it's unfortunate that some
> supposed Linux visionaries have jumped on the .NET bandwagon. But
> off in another corner of the Net, sneaking in under the radar, is
> REST (REpresentational State Transfer, quiz on Tuesday); there is
> a fledgling movement to promote it as an alternative model for Web
> Services (now, from the above statement I gather you think Web Services
> is a bad idea -- bear with me for just a moment).

No, I'm not as excited by Web services as a lot of people, but
I don't have a big problem with the concept itself. The
concept of Microsoft having an iron grip on them -- that I
think is a bad idea.

> In contrast to the Microsoft vision of the Web as a collection of
> opaque software components that interact through RPC protocols, REST
> envisions the Web pretty much as it already is -- an open, hierarchical
> collection of URI-addressable resources. You interact with them through
> regular HTTP methods. So, REST-based Web Services are Web Services
> because they're more dynamic, automated, and data-oriented than the
> traditional Web, but they are based as much as possible on what
> already works, and preserve the openness of Web resources.

This sounds like a good thing to me. Certainly better than .Not.

> If you think that's a bad idea, then we'll just have to agree to
> disagree. But if you, or anyone else, thinks this might be cool,
> head on over to the RESTwiki at
>
>   http://conveyor.com/RESTwiki/

I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Zonker