[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun Apr 7 17:07:08 MDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 03:50:12PM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> Disclaimer: I think Mono is a Very Bad Idea. Microsoft is
> pushing the idea of Web services - this would have been a good
> time to deliver something new and useful

I think it's a bit early to talk about "would have been." Microsoft
is delivering an awful lot of .NET hype, but so far there is very
little substance for end users. I agree it's unfortunate that some
supposed Linux visionaries have jumped on the .NET bandwagon. But
off in another corner of the Net, sneaking in under the radar, is
REST (REpresentational State Transfer, quiz on Tuesday); there is
a fledgling movement to promote it as an alternative model for Web
Services (now, from the above statement I gather you think Web Services
is a bad idea -- bear with me for just a moment).

In contrast to the Microsoft vision of the Web as a collection of
opaque software components that interact through RPC protocols, REST
envisions the Web pretty much as it already is -- an open, hierarchical
collection of URI-addressable resources. You interact with them through
regular HTTP methods. So, REST-based Web Services are Web Services
because they're more dynamic, automated, and data-oriented than the
traditional Web, but they are based as much as possible on what
already works, and preserve the openness of Web resources.

If you think that's a bad idea, then we'll just have to agree to
disagree. But if you, or anyone else, thinks this might be cool,
head on over to the RESTwiki at

  http://conveyor.com/RESTwiki/

--
Matt Gushee