[CLUE-Tech] Setting System Time

Warren warren at guano.org
Thu Apr 11 20:11:08 MDT 2002

I'm getting wrapped around the axle trying to solve a simple problem,
setting system time.

When I type 'date', I get the correct system time, e.g., as of this
writing:

  [root at mail /root]# date
  Thu Apr 11 19:48:02 MDT 2002

But, when I edit or create a file, the timestamp is 6 hours in the
future:

  [root at mail /root]# touch testfile
  [root at mail /root]# ls -alF test*
  -rw-rw-r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 12 01:49 testfile

My /etc/zoneinfo file points to the correct timezone file:

  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root  34 Apr 12 01:54 /etc/localtime -> /usr/sh
  are/zoneinfo/America/Denver

Plus, my /etc/sysconfig/clock file seems to be set correctly:

  ZONE="America/Denver"
  UTC=false
  ARC=false

I run a script in /etc/cron.daily to first set the system time from a
timeserver, then set the hardware clock to local time:

  #!/bin/sh
  #Script to set time
  /usr/bin/rdate -s  clock.psu.edu
  /sbin/hwclock --systohc --localtime

I'm pretty sure it's PEBCAK and I'm open to any suggestions.

No, this is not a new problem, but I've finally reached that point on
"The List".

 --

 </W>