[CLUE-Tech] [OT] Postgres on Windows

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Fri Apr 12 09:40:57 MDT 2002

Sucks, no, as good as on Linux, no again.  My Celeron 300 (Linux) system
with IDE drives is faster than my P4 933 (win2k) with SCSI drives even
though both have 256M of memory, HOWEVER.....  Event the win2k machine
is faster than our production DB server, which is very expensive.

Now for the part that does suck:  You need to use CYGWIN, and CYGIPC.
 The IPC part does not come with CYGWIN, but Postgres does, which makes
it a little confusing as to why it did not work.  I use Postgres on
win2k at work for prototyping database stuff before the keepers of the
oracle have seen fit to allow me the privledge of having an instance on
the test/development server.

Starting it looks like this:
ipc-daemon &
./pgstart.sh
fg

shutting it down has to be done in a seperate window:
./pgstop.sh
ps   (look for ipc-daemon)
kill 2040 (or whatever IPC was)

Then you can close both CYCWIN windows.

I have attached some start-up/shutdown scripts from my at work machine.