[CLUE-Tech] Setting System Time

Warren warren at guano.org
Mon Apr 15 03:42:26 MDT 2002

Dave Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

 > So, when it's convenient to reset the hwclock through the bios,
 > check and make sure it is UTC.

I trekked out to the colo facility on Friday and did just that. It was
in UTC as set by the /etc/cron.daily/timeset.sh script.  That, and I've
set 'UTC=true' in /etc/sysconfig/clock

 > ...it seems that your problem is your kernel is in the wrong
 > timezone....there are boot scripts that will set the system
 > and hardware clocks.

The boot script (that I've found) that sets time is
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit .  The section that does so checks the clock file
for timezone and UTC info, and then runs 'hwclock --hctosys' .  By
default, it will set the system time based on whichever mode was last
successfully used (it determines this from the /etc/adjtime file).  If
the hardware clock was last set to UTC, then it sets the system time
with the correct timezone offset...or, it's SUPPOSED to.  But,
something is still screwing things up.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to bang my head against it
some more 'til I figure it out.

 --

 </W>