[CLUE-Tech] [OT] Postgres on Windows

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Apr 11 22:19:20 MDT 2002

Hey, folks--

I am going to be talking about a database conversion project with the
director of a non-profit organization tomorrow. I'm going to assess
their needs, make some recommendations, and possibly implement the
project. I don't have a very clear picture yet of what's going to be
involved; I know the target platform is Win2k--that's non-negotiable
--but I get the impression they're not sure what they want for a
database yet. Depending on their requirements, resources, etc., I may
want to recommend something other than Access--such as PostgreSQL.

However, I've heard that PostgreSQL on Windows "sucks." I'm not sure
why, just that it sucks. So I'd like to ask if anyone here has recently
used Postgres on Windows. If so, do you think it sucks? In what way?

By the way, I'm aware that MySQL runs on Windows--I've set up a MySQL
database on Win2k, and it seemed to work well. But I guess I'm biased
because it lacks things like transactions. That's probably not very
important for this project, but what is important is that it doesn't
support UTF-8, which will likely be the encoding of choice.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com