[CLUE-Tech] Debian: gpm not installing by default

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 20 14:57:02 MDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Keith Hellman wrote:

> --- David J Jackson <david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com> wrote:
>
> > Of course if you want a really "Spartin" install give OpenBSD a fling
> > !!! I
> > would agree that Susie
> > is the worst install, with all taht CD swapping.
> >
> * There is no CD swapping if you have dvd drive ;-)
> * IIRC, The base (minimal) install requires only the first CD, skips X,
> and is designed for servers.
> * SuSE may not be perfect, no distro is, but SuSE shines particularly well
> on notebooks (old and new)...

I would agree with that assessment - when it does work. I recall
having some major issues with SuSE on a Tuxtop laptop. The odd
thing was that the previous version (I think I was using 7.0,
which worked fine, and doing a clean install of 7.1) had installed
and worked perfectly - but the next version had some issues.

Oddly, I've had troubles booting SuSE on DVD with some DVD
drives - but no problems at all with their CDs.

Also - I really think SuSE and Mandrake have really added value
to Linux for people who aren't adept at Linux and only want to
use it as a desktop/workstation. Particularly if you have no
odd hardware.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe