[CLUE-Tech] Debian: gpm not installing by default+

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Sun Apr 21 06:59:58 MDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:11:39 -0600 (MDT) Randy Arabie
<rrarabie at arabie.org> wrote:> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Collins wrote:

> > I've been a gentoo afficionado from the early days (mostly on
> > gentoo since early last year).  It is now a really good (tm)
> > product.  If you can handle "build a system from source" with all
> > the downloads and compiles (3-5 days for a complete system), it's
> > the only way to fly.
>
> Collins,
>
> Your evangalism got me interested, you can take the credit ;-)
>
> I burned the 1.0 iso, which does have some precompiled stuff to
> get you going quicker.  However, I opted for the "build it from
> scratch" route.  It does take a long time.
>
> I running dual PII 866 w/ 256 MB RAM, and I've got a DSL connection.
>
> Base System --- 4 hours
> X & xfce    --- 6 hours
>
> You should note that most of the base compile was done w/ the boot
> uni-processor kernel.
>
> Now I'm working on the rest (office packages, mozilla, gimp,
> etc...).
>
> --

Best of luck.  You'll love it.  I've experimented with Caldera,
Mandrake, ELX, FreeBSD, and others over the past few years.  This
one's a keeper.  Unless I buy a new PC at some point, I've probably
done my last install.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
Gentoo_rc6-15(1.1a) 2.4.19pre - xfce + sylpheed + mozilla