[CLUE-Tech] gentoo - was Debian: gpm not installing by default

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Sun Apr 21 15:35:48 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:43:24 -0600 Sean LeBlanc
<seanleblanc at attbi.com> wrote:> On 04-21 10:52, Collins wrote:
> <snip>
>
> All this talk of Gentoo makes me want to ask here rather than
> looking really dumb on gentoo-newbie: Is there any way to install
> via floppy? I have a machine that doesn't support CD boot, and on
> top of that, the machine my burner is in just had a HD failure. :(
> Is there any way to do an install similar to what
> RedHat/FreeBSD/OpenBSD offer: use floppy(s) to boot, then config LAN
> and off you go, downloading packages as needed. I see they have an
> "alternate install" doc that talks about using GRUB and enabling a
> net boot to load from the LAN, but that's not exactly the same
> thing.

Not really as a standard offering.  If you have a bootable floppy that
has fdisk and communications support, you can download and unpack the
gentoo tar.gz file and resume at the point in the instructions where
you do the chroot and bootstrap process.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
Gentoo_rc6-15(1.1a) 2.4.19pre - xfce + sylpheed + mozilla