[CLUE-Tech] " In the beginning was Slackware"?

Dennis J Perkins dperkins at techangle.com
Sun Apr 21 21:11:36 MDT 2002

If I understand your question, MCC is the Minnesota Computing
Consortium.  I think it is or was the computer network for Minnesota's
eductional system.  I think Patrick was a student at Concordia College
in Moorhead, MN, when he assembled Slackware.

I'm not sure that Red Hat was based on Slackware.  I recall reading that
Erik Troan or Donnie Barnes was selling a Red Hat Linux distro from his
dorm room.  The first version of Caldera, on the other hand, used Red
Hat, and started to differentiate in later versions.

I think there was a quasi-distro put together by university students at
the time Slackware came out, but I can't remember any name for it.