[CLUE-Tech] " In the beginning was Slackware"?

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 20:56:58 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, David J Jackson wrote:

> If memory serves me right, my first CD was 3.0, when did Linux switch from a.out
> to elf?

I have to admit, that's before my time. I started with "Slackware '96" CD
set - and it had a lot of discussion about upgrading from a.out to ELF,
but it was firmly ELF by then.

> I once asked Patrick (and he answered) about the relationship between Slack and
> SuSE,
> he said it was basicaly just trading info, not actually developement.
> Then then was MCC ?

It seems to me that I've seen some old, old Linux Journals that
had SuSE ads that were something like "Slackware on Steroids" or
"Slackware Pro" -- I think they based their first one or two
versions/releases on Slack and then moved to a RPM-based model,
but not RH-derivative.

You know, Gates and company like to talk about Linux not being a
successful business model - but I recall Patrick saying that
Slack has always been profitable - at least before the whole
Walnut Creek buyout.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe