[CLUE-Tech] Is this true?

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Fri Apr 26 22:30:32 MDT 2002

Jeffery Cann wrote:

>DHTML -- I tried the www.msaa.com site in Mozilla 0.9.9 and the menus work
>fine.  In fact it is the DHTML code that causes problems in some browsers.
>It is _not_ the Microsoft Conspiracy that is so popular on Linux email lists!
>
>I agree that their message about Netscape support is somewhat misleading.

I can't agree with some of the conclusions in your message.

I'm running Netscape 6.21 and found that the menus did work, but the bar
on which they appeared was truncated at the bottom so that only the
first line is visible and many of the drop-down menu lines are cut off.
Under Konquerer 2.2.2, the frame loaded, but the menus never appeared,
and was mentioned earlier, under Netscape 4.78, the page would not load
at all. The job that the msaa.com webmaster did is simply very sloppy.

Be what it may, the point needs to be kept in mind here is that a
webmaster, in my opinion, has an obligation to insure that the site is
accessible by all browsers --- not just specific ones. If for some
reason the site is written to suppport only one brand, then an honest
webmaster should state "optimized for Brand X or whatever." There is no
reason whatsoever to insult the readers by demeaning their choice of OS
or web browsers, which is what the message does.

Unfortunately, the practice of writing only for IE seems to be coming
more common, for I am seeing more pages that state "Optimized for IE".
When a site of this sort is found, then the webmaster should be called
to account for it. Hopefully in a tactful way, but sometimes rudeness
begets rudeness.

BOF