[CLUE-Tech] Is this true?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Apr 26 23:11:42 MDT 2002

On Friday 26 April 2002 10:30 pm, BOF wrote:
> I'm running Netscape 6.21 and found that the menus did work, but the bar
> on which they appeared was truncated at the bottom so that only the
> first line is visible and many of the drop-down menu lines are cut off.
> Under Konquerer 2.2.2, the frame loaded, but the menus never appeared,
> and was mentioned earlier, under Netscape 4.78, the page would not load
> at all. The job that the msaa.com webmaster did is simply very sloppy.

I agree.  My point was that just because people think that the webmaster did
not 'do his job' in our opinion is no cause to decry him / her as occurred in
this thread.  Also, folks in this thread tried to blame Microsoft -- which
was totally incorrect.

> Be what it may, the point needs to be kept in mind here is that a
> webmaster, in my opinion, has an obligation to insure that the site is
> accessible by all browsers --- not just specific ones.

I couldn't agree more.  But you also must not have been a webmaster because
you have other things to do besides worrying about browser compatability.
Some shops (like mine) track the browser usage and base compatability testing
as a percentage of the user's browser type.

In addition, it is likely that MSAA hired a consultant who wrote everything
in IE.  MSAA probably did not know better and now the webmaster (probably not
the author / consultant) is stuck without (as they stated in their
explanation) 'resources or manhours' to make their web site compatible.

> If for some
> reason the site is written to suppport only one brand, then an honest
> webmaster should state "optimized for Brand X or whatever."

Sure.  No problem.  In fact, I tend to avoid the ones that are 'optimized for
IE'.

> There is no reason whatsoever to insult the readers by demeaning their
> choice of OS or web browsers, which is what the message does.

Did we read two separate messages?

Here's the one I read:  http://www.msaa.com/updatable/mac_netscape.html

Some Macintosh and most Netscape users experience problems when accessing our
pages. This is mostly due to Netscape no longer supporting basic code used to
run our menuing system.

In order to assist you, we have to alter all of our pages in order to make
everything compatible. This is a long and detailed process for which we
neither have the manhours or funds to complete. We will make the effort to
support the various web browsers, but we do not know when that will be
completed.

Until then, our hearts are with you.

I did not see anything that suggests I should be insulted as a Linux or Mac
user.  They state simply that their site does not work well.  Okay.

> Unfortunately, the practice of writing only for IE seems to be coming
> more common, for I am seeing more pages that state "Optimized for IE".

So back when all of the web sites were sporting 'optimized for netscape'
stickers were you using Lynx or NCSA and complaining?  I wasn't.  In fact, I
thought it was 'cool' that sites were cutting edge (1997) because Netscape
_was_ the best browser.  I do not agree with this sentiment 5 years later
because I have personally experienced many hours of 'browser incompatibility
problems'.

> When a site of this sort is found, then the webmaster should be called
> to account for it.

Yes - the webmaster probably should be told.  But it is clear that they
already know that their site is not accessible.  Given that this is a
foundation for MS, they also state that they do not have the 'manhours or
funds to complete' the web site fixes.

> Hopefully in a tactful way, but sometimes rudeness begets rudeness.

We agree to disagree.  I do not think they are being rude.  Maybe
inconsiderate of non-IE browsers.  I am guessing that they got hosed by a
disreputable client.

Also, my comments were not directed at any particular individual in this
thread (including you, BOF).  Simply an observation that folks were 'piling
on' a little too hard, IMHO.

Maybe folks who are upset by the MSAA can offer some consulting time and help
fix their navigation problems?  Given the amount of effort all of us have
spent commenting on it, we probably could have rewritten the navigation
easily.  :-P

Maybe the development should be sponsored by CLUE?  Anyone want to suggest
this idea to the webmaster?  This would certainly give a good opinion of
Linux users to the MSAA folks.

Later,
Jeff