[CLUE-Tech] Is this true?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Apr 27 09:32:38 MDT 2002

> > > There is no reason whatsoever to insult the readers by demeaning
> > > their choice of OS or web browsers, which is what the message does.
> >
> > I did not see anything that suggests I should be insulted as a Linux
> > or Mac user.
>
> Then you must not have seen this:
>
>   If you wish to upgrade to Microsoft's Internet Explorer, please click
>   icon.
>
> Upgrade?
>
> "Insulting" may be in the eye of the beholder, but I'd say the above
> wording pretty clearly qualifies as disparaging people's choice of
> browser.

I don't consider that so much an insult, as an indication of how clueless
they are. But, even worse, it's part of the whole mindset we all encounter
all the time. People just assume you're using M$

http://www.msaa.com/webindex/bestview.html (don't want to pick on them
more, but hey, it was handy)

This is the really big issue when it comes to promoting Linux (or anything
else other than M$). People use M$ because everybody else is. We've had
this discussion before, in re. recruiters who accept only Word resumes.
But it goes way beyond that.

Echoing (sorta) Jeff's sentiment. If you're going to e-mail the webmaster,
helpfully point out that any browser based on the Gecko engine (OK, I'm
making an assumption) will properly render their pages. And the addition
of <noscript> tags.

jed