[CLUE-Tech] Re: Browser Protest Day

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 17:09:49 MDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Charlie Oriez wrote:

> I got a nice note back from their CIO saying that he used linux at
> home and experienced no problems, and offered to work through any
> problems with me.  My response was that I hadnt seen any problems. My
> only worry was that their site didnt list linux/ns4.7 as a supported
> combo and I was worried about hidden damage.  A year later, their
> site still claims not to support linux based browsers.

There's a difference between not expressly mentioning Linux and
expressly building a site that's IE-only. I don't really care if a
site says it works with Linux/Netscape as long as it *does* work.

The reason to push for using Web standards *only* is because it's
impractical to test every possible combination. I mean, you've got
Windows/IE 5, Windows/IE 6, Windows/Netscape 4.7x, Windows/Netscape 6.x,
Windows/Opera, Mac 9.x/IE 5, Mac OS X/IE 5, Mac 9.x/Netscape...

The combinations are staggering, so why alienate even 5% of your
potential customer base by writing a site that works only in IE 6 or
whatever? We'd be sooo much better off if people would have started
complaining when Netscape started throwing in proprietary tags and
JavaScript...

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our
moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our
government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the
laws of the country." -- Thomas Jefferson