[CLUE-Tech] Debian: gpm not installing by default

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Mon Apr 29 19:48:16 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:33:38 -0400 (EDT) "David Jackson"
<david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com> wrote:
> Anychange someone might be peddling CD for GENTOO at the next
> meeting? I would be interested in giving it a fling.
>
> David Jackson
>
> > The other side of the coin is this.  Like every linux distro,
> > installing on a laptop or on unusual new peripherals (RAID, etc.)
> > can be problematic.  Also, gentoo requires you to download lots of
> > source packages.  If you have only a 56K modem, this will be a
> > trying time. My cable router/modem works OK, but some people have
> > had difficulty with getting some of the more unusual DSL setups to
> > play nicely.

Just an afterthought.  The basic install CD is a relatively small
beast, although they do now have larger CD's with more precompiled
(686 only) software.  If you already have a runing linux system, just
download the equivalent tarball, format an empty partition (3-5gig is
oodles), untar the tarball into it, and resume in the install
instructions with the setup for chroot and bootstrap operation.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18-xfs xfce-sylpheed-dillo-opera